- We test VPN servers from 3 different source locations - North America, Central Europe and East Asia. For each VPN service, we run tests against a server in the same region as well as servers in the other regions. We don’t aggregate results over regions.
- Tests are conducted on a server with dedicated 10 Gbps network bandwidth. We run up to 10 tests in parallel at a time, giving each test an average of 1 Gbps of bandwidth to use. This should be enough to ensure a tests results are never artificially lowered due to bandwidth limitation on the client side.
- VPN connections are established using OpenVPN over UDP, which is generally faster than using TCP.
- Download and upload speeds area measured by transferring a file using TCP to and from a server in the same region as the VPN server. The size of the file ranges from 5 to 100 MB depending on the available bandwidth.
- Tests are conducted twice daily. The above test is ran 3 times for every VPN server from every source region.
- We calculate the average speeds over the results from the past 30 days, using the fastest result of the 3 tests from each individual test run.